Here are the instructions about how to:
- Submit a topic
- Edit your text
- Attach a file to your topic
- Get notification emails
- Vote for a topic or a reply
SUBMITTING A TOPIC
Topic is the name this forum has for posts. You can post your own question or comments following these steps:
- Go to the related forum (see the Home page for the list of forums).
- Scroll down to the form entitled “Create New Topic in “forum_name”” at the bottom of the page.
- Type a title in the first box
- Type your question or comment in the second box. Please, take note of the tool bar at the top giving basic editing options (described further in the next section).
- Type the tags related to your post.
- If you want to subscribe to your own post, click the box at the bottom of the form.
- You can attach a file.
- Click “Submit” once you are done.
EDITING TOOL BAR
About the toolbar. The toolbar of the form has the following buttons:
- b: Writes in bold
- i: Writes in italic
- b-quote: To write citations or quotes.
- del: To cross out text (strikethrough) instead of erasing it; means that you made a correction, but you want the reader to know what was originally written.
- img: Asks for a URL where to find an image to include.
- ul: For unordered list.
- ol: For ordered list.
- li: To define list items.
- code: To indicate a code snippet (fortran, C, idl, python, etc.).
- close tags: Can be used to close any of the above tags!
Note that there is a preview showing automatically as you write your post. You can see live how your post will look like once submitted. You can then play safely with the buttons in the toolbar.
ATTACH A FILE TO A TOPIC
Before you submit your topic, you can attach a file at the very bottom of the editing text. Attached files should be no more than 64Mb. If files with the same name are uploaded more than once, it will be renamed with numbers.
If you wish to upload scripts, they will need to have a recognized file extension for the server to accept them. However, .pro, .py, .cl and .sh files are not accepted, as the forum software sees them as a threat, as they may be viruses… You can alway zip or tar your script before submitting.
GETTING EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS FROM FORUMS
You can receive email notification each time a new topic in a given forum is published. But first, you need to subscribe to that forum. To do so:
- Go to the forum (e.g. http://drforum.gemini.edu/forums/installations/)
- Right under the forum title, there is : Home › Forums › InstallationsSubscribe. Click on “Subscribe”.
You can also subscribe to a topic to get email notifications each time someone sends a reply. Note that subscriptions are reversible. Simply click on “Unsubscribe” at the same place you first subscribed.
Once you login, you can also vote (up or down) the replies to the topics. This will allow new comers to identify quickly which were the favorite replies. The thumbs up and down are found at the end of each reply.
You can change your vote anytime by clicking on the other thumb, or cancel it by clicking on the same thumb you have selected previously. You cannot vote more than once.